One of the first things you’ll notice when entering a hospital is that they can be massive. With 4 wings, 10 floors, cafeterias, waiting rooms, etc., it can be difficult to find your way around. It’s times like these that an organized sign system can make all the difference to your clientele. Wayfinding signs, for example, can help to make any building easier to navigate, but are especially useful in larger buildings such as hospitals, where patients are often on a tight schedule.
Ideal Wayfinding Signs:
- Bright – featuring a reflective color that can be seen from far away
- Noticeable – location wise, should be eye level and in lobbies and hallways
- Easy to Read – large print, basic fonts
- Informative – tells where you are and has arrows to guide you where you need to be
- Arrows and other directional shapes – these can be helpful especially when directing patients to cafeterias and restrooms
You only have one chance at a first impression, and having lost patients wandering around isn’t a good one! Empower your patients with wayfinding signs to keep them from feeling stressed, anxious, or overwhelmed. Make sure your hospital is one known for hospitality by offering navigational help every step of the way. It is also important to have your signs created professionally, so that you can avoid overbearing, or unhelpful signs. If you aren’t sure, below are some ways to know the difference between helpful signs and the ones that can be more of a detriment to your cause.
Wayfinding Sign Features to Avoid:
- Too Much Information – patients on the 1st floor in the West Wing don’t need signs telling them how to get to the 4th floor’s East Wing. Keep your signs simple. In this case, less is more.
- No Theme – hospitals need wayfinding signs for parking areas, the exterior, and interior of the building. These should all flow together and have separate, distinct color schemes. For example, always use red for the emergency room!
Patients and visitors want to feel as comfortable and relaxed as possible, considering they are likely already under stress while visiting a hospital. Wayfinding signs are a simple way to provide a little help and ease. Follow these tips, and your hospital will be easy to navigate!
Make Your Hospital More Friendly with East West Sign Group
We are the experts in creating exterior and interior signage that perfectly matches your branding, whether you want signage that is more traditional or modern and digital. East West Sign Group knows all about exterior and interior sign design and installation, and we have worked with countless businesses to boost business with great signage. To learn more about how we can design the right sign for you, contact us today!